Tuesday 17 December 2013

The Knork and a BPI

I have a brachial plexus injury after a tumour was removed earlier this year, it means I have very limited use of my hand and as a result have some difficulties in everyday life.  All those things you do without really thinking, buttons, zips laces, your bra are all suddenly much more difficult.  Never mind cooking cleaning and eating.  I am unable to grip in one hand and struggle to hold cutlery to cut my food, and as a result have been reliant upon others to help or face making a right old mess, well I saw mentioned a Knork, to assist people with limb disabilities and thought I must try one. 

A knork? I hear you say. What's a knork? Well, most of you will be familiar with the spork- the spoon fork combination. The knork is the knife fork combination,  but unlike previous incarnation of similar utensils this does not have a serrated edge, and instead relies upon the shape of the tines and the thickened edge to cut food when the user applies a rocking action. 

Tonight I used mine for the first time (with great excitement) and I am very excited to report that within two minutes I had mastered the technique and was eating independently! Now, according to the label which shows a user using it on a steak this should be possible, I shall look forward to trying this out on other meals and reporting back further! 


      

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! Interested to hear how you get on with it, as it could be useful to me on some of my unfunky days :) xxx

    ReplyDelete